Friday, October 5, 2018

The John Mwanza Formula – Comparative static analysis of tax revenue, compliance and evasion in Zambia by Kampamba Shula


The Private Sector in Zambia and the Government have for a long time been at loggerheads with regards to tax rates and revenue. Government wants more revenue which usually tends to support suggestions for increasing tax rates. This tendency can best be explained by the “Law of the instrument” a phrase from Abraham Maslow’s The Psychology of Science, published in 1966 which says “if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail”. The Private sector on the other hand have been searching and looking for ways to convince Government to reduce tax rates and stimulate growth which will lead to higher revenue. The Private sector has recently stressed the effects of tax evasion on Tax revenue loss. This apparent catch 22 motivated a more critical look at the factors affecting tax revenue in Zambia.

In this paper I proposes how tax rate cuts can increase revenues by improving tax compliance whilst reducing tax evasion especially in a substantially informal economy like Zambia. In this paper, a theoretical model of tax evasion, inspired by Gary S Becker’s Crime and Punishment: An Economic approach, is briefly presented. A renewed mathematical approach called the “John Mwanza “ Formula is introduced extending into comparative static analysis discussing tax evasion, compliance, complexity and even tax audit probability all in the vein of formulating a model that can at the margin gives us a clearer structure of the rather daunting task of increasing tax revenue whilst lowering tax rates.
You can download the working paper below.
http://www.zambiachamber.org/?p=486

1 comment:

  1. Nice information on here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at Le_Meridian Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate there effort also try to get this to anyone looking for business loan or other financial issues to Contact Le_Meridian Funding Service On Email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com He also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.

    ReplyDelete